Friday, June 19, 2009

Recommended Book: The Complete Tightwad Gazette

My sister recommended this book to me, and she's totally bonkers over it. I'm usually leery of these types, because often, I feel if one has any common sense, one knows 99% of what's in here. However, this book is actually compiled newsletters about being a tightwad, with readers writing in w/ tips and asking for advice, etc.

There is tons of cost comparison and anaylsis...you could spend hours, months, or years on some of this stuff. This is pretty helpful if you're a single gal...but more helpful if you've got a family to feed on one income. Overall, still pretty useful. I like how she sprinkles recipes throughout...for example, she gives a quick granola recipe that could maybe save me $5/month or so. So I'm game. Anyhoo, I'll try to throw in some of her tips here and there to inspire you.

Tightwad Gazette Tip: I've always torn my dryer sheets in half, thus doubling how long the box lasts. One tipper suggests that you can tear the sheets up as much as 4 times with the same results. Now I will literally be able to use 1 box for 1-1.5 years, thus saving me personally maybe $2-10 or so, depending. Link

No comments: