Let’s cut to the chase: This blog is first and foremost about a leisurely lifestyle. Which I am all for. But being leisurely is better when you have the best of leisure: A stylish new swimsuit, Jackie-O shades, coconut sunscreen, a cushy chaise-longue, a delectable trashy novel, and a cool, refreshing beverage. This would all be enjoyed near some type of water source, such as a lake or a pool. Even better if there is an age-inappropriate pool boy. No, I am not a pedophile, you sicko! As long as they’re over 21 I can look.
Recently, I was given the opportunity to do just this. I nannied for a family for a week. In between mediating hormonal, adolescent combat like “GET OUT OF MY ROOM!” “She’s touching me!” and the like, peppered with bursts of irrational crying, a smattering of [fake] earsplitting screeching, and a dash of emotional rollercoaster acrobatics, we went to the pool. The pool where [I used to work] and a fine specimen of a college lifeguard had a summer job. While the girls were off playing with friends, I was basking in the fortunate weather and really living the high life. Friends, Country Club Momming is where it’s at. And by the way, I used to be the lifeguard who was essentially RAISING YOUR KIDS and teaching them manners, so I think a little karma is in order here. However, I don’t want to be one of those moms who does all this and has a nanny there. That is just plain lazy. Be lazy in the comfort of your own homes! Don’t make others look at it.
This whole experience has made me ask the big question: Can one be a Woman of Leisure and have kids? Must they be out of the house before you can attain leisure status? It’s hard to be leisurely when you’re refereeing. Comments on this are welcome.
Saturday, June 24, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment