Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Clean-Out-Your-Cupboards Beans and Rice!

I decided I need to eat more beans and rice; in part because it's good protein, and in part because it's cheap! I looked up a recipe tonight for it, and it called for a bunch of stuff I didn't have--onions, garlic, etc. So! I took the lazy route and dumped a can of kidney beans, a can of mild enchilada sauce, and a can of black beans (the kind that have spices and lime in them). I just simmered them together while my rice was cooking and viola!

I just so happened to have shredded cheese (as always!) and sour cream, so I topped it with that...this would be good to dump anything else on top, such as avacado, guac, fresh tomatoes...whatever.

I'm guessing that between those 3 cans and the rice, the total was $5. I can probably get 4 servings out of that, so that's like $1.25/serving! Awesome! I wish I had made that more often my whole life. Sheesh! The beauty is, there are so many variations to this that you can experiment and never get bored (I always get bored.)

Get cooking! And tell me if you come up w/ a good combo!

PS this would be good for CROCKING!

No comments: